Thursday, October 27, 2011

On Eloping

I often feel the need to justify my decisions, mostly because they're a little (read: a lot) different than what my family is used to.  I was the first one to move out of state.  I wear all black, generally.  I am passionately liberal.  I support the arts.  It's quite a change from my conservative family's idea of what I should be doing.  However, this elopement is something I am for 100%.  I read this today and had an "A Ha!" moment.

I don't have to be the typical cupcake dress, tiara wearing bride with spiral curls and "natural" makeup.  I don't have to spend thousands on a stupid DJ that plays horrible remixes and club music.  No thanks.

I am going to elope.
I am going to wear a classic silk dress.
My hair is going to be kind of messy.
My makeup is going to be va-va-voom.
I am not wearing a garter belt.
I am not having a bouquet toss.
I am not having horrible, overpriced food.
I am not having a giant wedding just to show off.
I am not doing anything to make anyone happy, except Chris and myself.

This is our day and we're doing it our way. 

5 comments:

  1. Wow! Australia! I had no idea! What part will you be heading to? D and I spent some time there in college, you'll love it. PS: I love this post. Your wedding should be about what you want, which is mostly, just each other:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats nice, as long as you're happy I think that's the most important thing! good luck :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on finding an option that works for you!
    Have you heard of APracticalWedding? They have some cool, down-to-earth (i.e., not Wedding Industrial Complex) people and posts. They have a decent one on eloping, too: http://apracticalwedding.com/2011/08/should-i-elope/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simple is always better in my opinion. Big weddings begin to be too much about other people rather than you two. I loved having a simple wedding, the day was all about us. I do suggest hiring a really good photographer to capture the day. Our photog told such a great story that you could feel like you were there from the pictures.

    ReplyDelete